(........Continued from the previous article)
4. Journalism and Mass Communication
The explosion of mass media, especially the satellite TV channels and the Internet, offers immense possibilities to talented youngsters to make a rewarding career out of them. The media, the Fourth Pillar of our Democracy, has revolutionized the way public debates are conducted, the opinions are shaped and the public is mobilized. We all remember how the media became the “oxygen”, which kept alive the anti-corruption crusade at Jantar Mantar a few years back. Had the media not been there, it could never have generated the kind of public interest it did.
This profession allows you to make a difference to the society in a direct, significant way. Skilled journalists and mass communication professionals enjoy great value and are paid well. You need to be armed with good communication skills (both written and oral), confidence, investigative skills and a quest for knowledge. However, you would need to pursue a formal course like a Post Graduate Diploma in Journalism and Mass Communication to be able to work in this field. It is desirable to have a Post Graduate degree in literature before joining the journalism course. Though the print media is a major recruiter of such professionals, satellite TV channels and digital media have also offer another exciting avenue for employment.
1. Indian Institute of Mass Communications, JNU Campus, New Delhi
2. Panjab University, Chandigarh – PG Diploma in Journalism and Mass Communication
3. Symbiosis Institute of Mass Communications, Pune
4. Asian College of Journalism, Bengaluru
5. ISOMES, Noida (TV Journalism only) - Fresh, promising graduates trained and given on-the-job exposure
6. TV Today Network (TV Journalism only) - Fresh, promising graduates trained and given on-the-job exposure before induction
7. NDTV (TV Journalism only) - Fresh, promising graduates trained and given on-the-job exposure before induction
It is the study of aging, of all its social, psychological and biological aspects. Here, we focus on the physical, mental and social changes among people as they grow older. Owing to improved life expectancy in India, people in general are living healthier and longer lives, but it comes at a cost – physical, mental and social problems. Gerontologists are in great demand in advanced countries like the USA, Canada and the UK. These professionals help them out with these issues to help the old live better, more fulfilling lives.
You may begin by doing some volunteer work with an NGOs to learn more about this field and explore your own interest. Many private companies, healthcare agencies, old age homes and nursing homes look for specialists in this field. The salary may not be very high but it can be an immensely satisfying option for those who are interested in doing their social bit.
1. Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Deonar, Mumbai - Diploma in Gerontology
2. Institute of Home Economics, New Delhi
3. Ramnarain Ruia College, Mumbai
4. Calcutta Metropolitan Institute of Gerontology – One Year Postgraduate Diploma in Gerontology and Age Management.
6. Entertainment Professionals
The entertainment sector is not only glamorous and well-paying, it can open your vistas to a great many other possibilities too. The industry offers many options – Acting, Singing, Direction, Video Jockeying, Radio Jockeying, Anchoring, Art Direction- all of which require specialized training and exposure before you can make it big here. Please remember that in this industry, work can be erratic sometimes, so you may need to work somewhere else too to support yourself. Besides, you need to persevere and have tons of patience and self-confidence to face rejections and failures.
1. National School of Drama, New Delhi (3-year Diploma in Dramatics) – Acting, Stagecraft, Direction
2. Film and Television Institute of India, Pune – Acting, Direction, Film Editing, Sound Recording, Videography, Sound Engineering
3. Department of Theatre, Panjab University, Chandigarh – MA (Theatre)
4. Department of Theatre and Television, Panjabi University, Patiala – MA (Theatre and TV)
5. State University of Performing Arts, Rohtak
6. Actor Prepares - By Anupam Kher (Classes held in many cities including Chandigarh)
7. Roshan Taneja’s Acting School, Mumbai